International working contexts: (Digital) team play at a glance

San Jose (California) | Germans love teamwork, Brits don’t like it at all and the USA are particularly optimistic about remote collaboration. This is the conclusion of the recently published Wrike Happiness Index. The US manufacturer of digital collaboration tools Wrike interviewed 4000 full-time employees from France, Great Britain, Germany and the USA.

82% of the 1000 Germans surveyed stated to Wrike that teamwork either makes their job more pleasant, increases their productivity or helps them to scale the results better. This puts them well ahead of their counterparts in France and the USA, where Wrike received 77% and 67% respectively. In the UK, on the other hand, 33% of those surveyed explicitly describe teamwork as a “necessary evil” and try to avoid it wherever possible.

The cooperation with colleagues who do not sit in the same office is particularly positively evaluated by the American employees. 51 percent are of the opinion that this works wonderfully with the help of modern technology. This puts the USA well ahead of the other countries: Only 36 percent of the French, 30 percent of the British and 25 percent of the Germans are so optimistic about remote cooperation. German employees are lagging behind: a total of 19 percent said that they had never worked with someone who was not in their office and that they had never worked outside the office themselves. But 39 percent of Germans think virtual collaboration is “okay” and can imagine that it will continue to grow in the coming years. What applies to remote collaboration also applies to eLearning: Employees must first warm up to the technology before they can become aware of the underlying potential.

Image: © denisismagilov –